Tuesday 3 June 2014

Driving a 1960's car in the modern world

As we all head back to work following the West Australian "WA day" long weekend our road rules are returned to normal.  With every long weekend and public holiday period, double demerits are enforced, meaning driving infringements for speeding, drink driving and the use of a mobile phone at the wheel to name a few, are in-forced with double the consequences.

This makes driving a 1960's classic car with a speedometer in MPH a little more mentally taxing considering Australia changed to the metric system in 1974.

My rubbish mental arithmetic was confirmed not long after my purchase of UGU with the receipt of a speeding infringement where I lost 3 points from driving license as well as a receiving a monetary fine.

For those wishing to know the conversion is 1 mile = 1.609344 kilometres

Wishing to keep my car as original as possible I decided not to swap the cluster for a metric one, instead my solution was a simple but effective quick fix.  

UGU is a floor shift automatic, which means that on the instrument cluster there is a little clear window where the column shift automatic gear selection would otherwise be.

I printed up a conversion chart and stuck it into that window.  It is surprisingly discrete and I very much doubt that anyone looking at the car in a show would even know that it is there.  It's only down side is that it is not illuminated but the numbers seem to stick in your head after a while so it is now only there as a prompt.

I hope this helps:

Kilometres per hour on top,
Miles per hour on the bottom. 









No comments:

Post a Comment