Monday 2 January 2017

Restoration, Day 1

After a very long two year introduction I finally began the restoration of Leif. Having sat outside my house patiently waiting, he has been relocated to a friend's workshop where I have the space I need and a roof over my head. At 10:57am December 31st 2016 Leif was raised up onto axle stands and I set to work.

I have no idea what 2017 will have in store for me, but I am committed to this project, and am both excited yet daunted about the work to be done.

December 16th 2016, Leif drives onto the flat bed under his own steam

Strapped on and ready to move. Thanks again to Steve from Perth Tow

Relocated to be with some younger, shorter friends

Before (03.01.15)

As motivation, this is how Leif looked before I started; drivable but with no brakes, hammer finish, peeling paint and tatty interior, but complete and handsome with his rugged charm.


 Monster wheels and roof rack were the first things to go

Had almost forgotten our back yard used to look like this!

Inside for the first time in a long time!

Battle scarred, but straight body panels, though repairs are obvious

Sun scorched hammer finish paint.  Wish the original paintwork had been left alone as I would have kept the patina, this needs to go though - big job ahead!!

 All doors are rotten and need replacing

Seats are a mixture of black, brown, and black paint over red. Oh, and a David Jones bag special

Headlining in place but badly ripped

Bulkhead painted with same horrendous hammer finish paint (Dash panel already restored by me and reinstalled so the vehicle could be driven)

Holden Power - Holden Blue 2.2l six cylinder engine

Red wire special!!! Complete new wiring harness from Auto Sparks in the UK ready and waiting to replace this disaster

Restoration started - Day 1 (31.12.16)

10:57am, New Years Eve - we have lift off! 

Doors and Sills first things to come off

Tag 'em & Bag 'em.  Advice from a friend - already seems like a great idea

Doors off, seats and floor removed

End of Day 1, excitement is growing!!

1 comment:

  1. Looking like a great commencement. Summer '16/17 has lift off!

    ReplyDelete